New ECE Skills Certificates at TMCC!
Posted Thursday, December 4, 2014 by Shelly Nye
An exciting message from Crystal Swank, Professor/ECE Coordinator at Truckee Meadows Community College:
Hello ECE Students,
The ECE Program(at TMCC) has created a series of four Skills Certificates in ECE, which are based on the ECE courses in the core area of the AA and AAS degrees currently offered The worksheets for the new ECE Skills Certificates appear in the Fall 2014 catalog. Certificates will begin to be awarded at the end of this fall semester (2014).
This one page flyer shows the basic structure of the skills certificates. Notice that they are sequential and "stackable". This means that you begin with the first one, then only take the additional course(s) needed to move to the next one. When you get to the 4th one, you will notice that they are aligned with the three emphasis options in their AAS degrees. So no matter which of our degrees you might be working on, you can earn the skills certificates.
This is exciting news for several reasons:
- They can now recognize students as they make progress toward degrees. You can earn one or all four of the skills certificates!
- This may also help you advance on The Nevada Registry Career Ladder because the skills certificates are each aligned with one specific level (see flyer).
- Each student who earns a skills certificate in ECE is counted in their completion rates, helping improve the status of the ECE Program.
How do you qualify for an ECE Skills Certificate?
- Have completed the required courses for the certificate.
- Be an actively enrolled student at TMCC - including non-ECE courses for general education or in-service for work. This means that you could have completed the required courses in the past, and have taken some time off, but if you return to take even one class at TMCC you can earn the skills certificate.
- Have passed the courses with a grade of C or higher.
Note: Transfer courses can be counted, but they may need to identify students with transfer courses manually. Contact Crystal if you have questions about this.
Crystal is working with the Admissions and Records Office to identify students who qualify for the skills certificates. If you are one of those students, A & R will award the certificate and it will appear on your transcripts. You will not receive an email or award letter, just the note on your transcript. The awards will be made approximately 3-4 weeks after final grades are posted for each semester. They also plan to recognize those who complete skills certificates, just like they do their degree completers - so stay tuned for more about that.
If you have any questions, or need help to figure out where you stand with regard to a skills certificate in ECE, please contact Crystal at (775) 673-8272 or Lee Raubolt in Admissions and Records at 674-7624. They are excited to begin awarding the new certificates and look forward to recognizing your accomplishments!