Skip to main content

Have you heard about the Telehealth Services Benefit Program?

Receive access to FREE dental and vision coverage, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), unlimited telemedicine calls, ten teletherapy sessions and an optional Whole Life insurance policy simply for being an active member of The Nevada Registry! (Must be working in a child care center or other Early Childhood-related program in Nevada to qualify.)

Click here for more information!

Questions about CPR and First Aid come up often. To clarify more than confuse, we have created another easy FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions) page for you.

Who decides what CPR and First Aid cards are accepted?

State Child Care regulations stipulate which CPR and First Aid cards are accepted. Anyone working in a licensed childcare facility must complete CPR and First Aid from one of these authorized agencies:

  • American Heart Association
  • American Red Cross
  • American Safety and Health Institute
  • EMS Safety Services
  • Medic First Aid
  • HSI (parent agency for American Safety and Health Institute, Medic First Aid and EMS Safety Services brands)

The Nevada Registry’s role is to make sure an official card from one of those agencies is submitted along with all the other initial training as part of the membership application process (for Career Ladder level placement only; not to qualify individuals for their job).

The card I received is not from one of the agencies but indicates it meets the requirement of one of the agencies. Will that work?

No. The card must be an official card from one of the authorized agencies bearing the official logo.

Why was my CPR/First Aid card denied when I applied but my coworker submitted the same card and was able to renew?

All required training documentation including an official CPR/First Aid card from one of the authorized agencies must be submitted with an initial application to be considered completed. However, there is no documentation required to renew so while it may appear that your coworker’s CPR/First Aid card was accepted, it was not; it was simply dismissed since it was not required as part of the renewal process. Unlike an initial application, an invalid CPR/Frist Aid card does not make a renewal incomplete. For example: Susan is renewing with The Nevada Registry and her CPR card is expired. She includes an updated (but invalid) CPR card with her renewal. In this case, the CPR card will not be added to her account because it does not meet the requirements but her renewal will still be processed. Susan will need to obtain the correct training/correct CPR card to meet Child Care Licensing’s requirement even though her Nevada Registry membership has been successfully renewed.

Can I submit a card for CPR/First Aid taken online?

Per Child Care Licensing, CPR must include an in-person skills demonstration – CPR training taken completely online is not allowable. If the card indicates only the exam has been completed or the skills demonstration still needs to take place, it will not be accepted even if it is from one of the authorized agencies. First Aid may be taken online as long as it is taken from one of the authorized agencies.

Can I just submit a standard CPR card or does it need to have Infant/Child/Pediatric listed?

Per Child Care Licensing, CPR must include an infant/child/pediatric component. If it does not it will not be accepted. Please reference this news post for examples of acceptable cards.

Can I submit a letter from the instructor indicating I completed the correct course?

No. A copy of the official card from one of the authorized agencies must be submitted.

I submitted an American Heart Association CPR AED card. Why was it not accepted?

An American Heart Association CPR AED card only covers CPR, not First Aid. If you submitted a CPR AED card and it indicates infant/child/pediatric it will meet the requirement for CPR but you will still need to complete First Aid training.

The website of the CPR/First Aid provider I went through said their cards are accepted by The Nevada Registry. Is that correct?

The Nevada Registry does not approve or oversee CPR instructors or their training. Regardless of what a website says, CPR/First Aid is only accepted when an official card from one of the authorized agencies is submitted, per Child Care Licensing. If the instructor issues an official card from one of the authorized agencies, it will meet Childcare Licensing’s requirement and will be accepted by The Nevada Registry for the purposes of Career Ladder Placement.