The Nevada Registry does not approve CPR/First Aid instructors or their courses. This is because instructors are already vetted and regulated by the agency issuing their certification.
Finding CPR/First Aid training is easy.
CPR/First Aid training must be taken from an instructor issuing an official card bearing the official logo of one of the following: American Heart Association, American Red Cross, American Safety and Health Institute, EMS Safety Services, Medic First Aid or HSI. What this means is third-party certification cards that do not bear the official logo of one of the agencies listed will not be recognized by Child Care Licensing or The Nevada Registry for Career Ladder placement. See examples below.
Make your investment of time and money count!
- First verify the type of certification an instructor possesses. If they are not approved as an instructor from one of the recognized agencies, continue your search to find another instructor that is.
- When communicating with the instructor, be certain to share that you work in child care and are seeking an official card that will be accepted by Child Care Licensing and The Nevada Registry.
- Verify that you will be issued an official card bearing the official logo of one of the recognized agencies upon completion of the course. A third-party card bearing the name of their private business company in lieu of the official agency card will not be accepted, even if the card states that the training “meets the guidelines of XX agency”. In all cases, the official card is required. If they do not issue official cards, continue your search to find another instructor that does.
Per State Child Care Licensing:
- CPR training must include an infant/child/pediatric component. Cards indicating adult only instruction or that do not clearly indicate that infant/child/pediatric CPR was included will not be accepted.
- CPR training must include an in-person skill demonstration component. Blended instruction that combines online learning with skill demonstration is permitted. A CPR course offered 100% online will not be accepted, even when taken from one of the recognized agencies.
- First Aid training may be completed in person or online.
Certified CPR/First Aid instructors are located in every community. There are some who operate a business for the sole purpose of delivering CPR/First Aid training but there are also many other certified instructors working in other health/safety-related positions such as Fire Fighters, Nurses, etc. who deliver this training. Another quick and easy way to locate a certified CPR instructor is to visit one of the websites below and search for instructors/classes. Each website includes this type of search.
American Heart Association
American Red Cross
American Safety and Health Institute (now administered by HSI)
EMS Safety Services (now administered by HSI)
Medic First Aid (now administered by HSI)
You have many options when searching for CPR/First Aid instructors. Regardless of where you find your training, as long as the instructor you choose is certified by one of the recognized agencies listed above AND issues the official card from one of those agencies, you can be sure that the training will be accepted by Child Care Licensing and The Nevada Registry.
Examples of CPR/First Aid Cards bearing the official logos from one of the recognized agencies: